Who did Trewince belong to?
It is interesting to try and trace the ownership of Trewince from the earliest days.
According to the Rentals and Surveys of Manors from manuscripts in the custody of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, from the 1538 Survey the Manor of Tregear (which included St Mawes/ Portscatho/ Gerrans/ Lamoran/ Ruan/ Feock out to the Veryan boundary) had probably been church property for at least 1000 years. There was no specific mention of Trewince however. Tregear belonged to Bishop of Exeter at the time of Domesday 1085 but was probably administered by the ecclesiastical conmmissioners. It may have been held by religious bodies in Celtic times and gradually absorbed by the Diocesan Bishoprics of Bodmin and St Germans which were finally consolidated into one see with Devonshire c.1030.
1140: The parish of St Anthony was granted by the Bishop to the Priory of Plympton.
1538: A synopsis of the members of the Manor of Tregear from the rental of 1538 mentions Lands held by the Manor by Knights Service – including Trewyns.
In the times of the Star Chamber (Edward VI, 1537-53) we read that “Stephen Craier seized the manors of ….and a tenement called Trewince in Gerrans.
1563: Alice Reskymer made a will and left “to the heirs of her body …. a mes called Trewins in Cherens [Gerrans]. Alice R when she died she was seized of the manors of Trewins”. Peter Courtenay esq. is also mentioned.
1613: Edward Courtneye of Trewyne (Trewynce) leased his ‘mes. and rent’ to the Eland family.
1617 Edward Courtneye of Trethwiffe in Lazack Esq and Elizabeth his wife leases to Nicholas Hobbs of Gerrans all those lands called Trewynce on the w side and the highway leading to Gerrans church towne called the Downes (80 acres) Lives Thamseyn wife of Nicholas Hobbs, Ferdinando and Jane son & daughter of the said Nicholas ans Tam. A lease was granted to Nicholas Hobbs of Gerrans : all those lands called Trewynce and certain closes part of Trewynce on the west side and the highway leading to Gerrans church towne.
1641 The Protestant returns list Ferdinando Hobbs and Edw Hobbs. (Everyone in England had to sign the Protestation swearing allegiance to the true Reformed Protestant religion against all Popery. In Cornwall the returns comprised a list of all male parishioners 18 and over).
Up to 1675 we continue to find references to the Hobbs family in relation to Trewince., and there is a Hobbs monument in the church at Gerrans which displays the family arms, namely “Argent, 3 escutcheons sable, each charged with an eagle displayed” or, “impaling, Argent, 2 swords in saltire proper, hilts and pommels or, in chief, a bunch of grapes of the second, leaved and stalked as the sale; being the arms of the family of Thomas of Tregolls near Truro.”