Call us 01872 580289

Just how you imagined Cornwall to be.

Posts Tagged ‘Hobbs’

Location, location, location!

Posted on: 10th February 2012
Trewince Aerial View

Trewince Aerial View

Long ago, all the fields around Trewince had descriptive names, and these can still been seen in the Tithe map of 1841 which can be viewed in the County Records office. The names are even older than this, though. In the Henderson Calendars we read:

“25/5/1648 Sir Peter Courteney leases to Ferdinando Hobbs of Gerrans gent for £60 and a surrender all Trewince and 4 closes called the Well Ground 20 acres, the Pease Meadow 1 1/4 acres, the Westerne grounds 12 lying on the west side of the Highway from Gerrans to St Anthony and being part of Trewynce and lands called the Downes 80 acres and a piece of waste ground called Polkerah (?) – lives said Ferdinando, Elizabeth his wife and Nicholas (son) — to the manor of Trethyn (illegible)”.

One field  below Trewince is called Pardon Bank, and it is where Henry VIII allegedly pardoned all political offenders in the area. In his “Accounts of the memories and reminiscences of a number of people of the parish of Gerrans”, Sam Marsden, rector of Gerrans 1975 or 6, wrote:

” The field on the left hand side of the road down to Trewince was where Henry viii held court, at which he pardoned all political offenders in the area. It is known as the Pardon Bank.”

Laurence O’Toole in his book  “Roseland between river and sea” wrote that Henry VIII was credited with staying at the Royal Standard in Gerrans during the time he was building St Mawes Castle but there is actually no evidence that he ever came to Cornwall. A bit like those other legends about Joseph of Arimathea…..

Who did Trewince belong to?

Posted on: 30th January 2012

It is interesting to try and trace the ownership of Trewince from the earliest days.

caption for Hobbs memorial Gerrans church

According to the Rentals and Surveys of Manors from manuscripts in the custody of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, from the 1538 Survey the Manor of Tregear (which included St Mawes/  Portscatho/ Gerrans/ Lamoran/ Ruan/ Feock out to the Veryan boundary) had probably been church property for at least 1000 years. There was no specific mention of Trewince however. Tregear belonged to Bishop of Exeter at the time of Domesday 1085  but was probably administered by the ecclesiastical conmmissioners. It may have been held by religious bodies in Celtic times and gradually absorbed by the Diocesan Bishoprics of Bodmin and St Germans which were finally consolidated into one see with Devonshire c.1030.

1140: The parish of St Anthony was granted by the Bishop to the Priory of Plympton.

1538: A synopsis of the members of the Manor of Tregear from the rental of 1538 mentions Lands held by the Manor by Knights Service – including Trewyns.

In the times of the Star Chamber (Edward VI, 1537-53) we read that “Stephen Craier seized the manors of ….and a tenement called Trewince in Gerrans.

1563: Alice Reskymer made a will and left “to the heirs of her body …. a mes called Trewins in Cherens [Gerrans]. Alice R when she died she was seized of the manors of Trewins”.  Peter Courtenay esq. is also mentioned.

1613: Edward Courtneye of Trewyne (Trewynce) leased his ‘mes. and rent’ to the Eland family.

1617  Edward Courtneye of Trethwiffe in Lazack Esq and Elizabeth his wife leases to Nicholas Hobbs of Gerrans all those lands called Trewynce on the w side and the highway leading to Gerrans church towne called the Downes (80 acres) Lives Thamseyn wife of Nicholas Hobbs, Ferdinando and Jane son & daughter of the said Nicholas ans Tam. A lease was granted to Nicholas Hobbs of Gerrans : all those lands called Trewynce and certain closes part of Trewynce on the west side and the highway leading to Gerrans church towne.

1641 The Protestant returns list Ferdinando Hobbs and Edw Hobbs. (Everyone in England had to sign the Protestation swearing allegiance to the true Reformed Protestant religion against all Popery. In Cornwall the returns comprised a list of all male parishioners 18 and over).

Hobbs Memorial Gerrans Church

Hobbs Memorial Gerrans Church

Up to 1675 we continue to find references to the Hobbs family in relation to Trewince., and there is a Hobbs monument in the church at Gerrans which displays the family arms, namely “Argent, 3 escutcheons sable, each charged with an eagle displayed” or, “impaling, Argent, 2 swords in saltire proper, hilts and pommels or, in chief, a bunch of grapes of the second, leaved and stalked as the sale; being the arms of the family of Thomas of Tregolls near Truro.”

Hobbs Coat of Arms

Hobbs Coat of Arms