Call us 01872 580289

Just how you imagined Cornwall to be.

Call out the fire brigade

Posted on: 25th March 2013

The aforementioned Gordon (see last post, “Recollections from a past visitor“) referred to the fire at Trewince, in the days when we had a campsite, full to capacity in high season. As it happens, I have a cutting from the West Briton Thursday August 1st 1991. It was a very scary occurrence. Peter & others tried to keep the flames away from nearby Calor gas cylinders. One man pushed his way through a thorny hedge to help extinguish the flames on the other side. I stood outside the front gate for ages waiting to direct the fire engine. Peter said you could hear it coming from across the water at St Mawes. People on the campsite were really helpful and collected clothes for the family, who also had a visit from Victim support volunteers.

Fire in caravan July1991

Fire in caravan July1991

Another visitor, who still visits Trewince with his family,  recalls the event:
“I was there, yes it was scary, we all used up our fire extinguishers, totally useless! We were very worried about the gas bottles which were very securely attached, but one (very brave) guy managed to ‘kick’ them off into safety. Apparently, the caravan owner had brought into the awning, a hot barbecue – not a good idea!!!”